Hurricane season is now upon us. We want your drivers and their families to be safe. Follow these tips to stay safe and out of harms way.
- Don’t drive unless you have to.
- Keep safe distances between vehicles and watch your speed. Slow and steady will get you out of harm’s way.
- Don’t assume more rugged vehicles like SUVs and pick-up trucks are better suited for bad weather.
- If your vehicle skids and begins to spin, take your foot off the accelerator and try not to brake. Your vehicle will slow naturally to a safer position.
- Avoid water-filled roads. You don’t know how deep the water is. If you must go through a flooded area, go slowly and watch for other vehicles trying to do the same. Go in order, like at a stoplight.
- If you come to an intersection and the lights are not operating, treat it as if it’s a four-way stop sign.
- Watch your surroundings. There could be large debris or power lines down.